• Fr

Searching for a contractor or a licence number: consult the Licence holders' repertory.

COVID-19: see our measures (examinations, licence maintenance, etc.).

Montréal’s service point [Fr]: relocation on August 26, 2020, and scheduling an appointment online.

According to our language policy​​​​​​​, only certain contents may be translated. Visit the French version to obtain all the information.


  • A person can holder both an owner-builder’s licence and a contractor’s licence provided that it is for the same company. If this is not the case, this person shall at least hold 50% of the voting shares of each one of the two companies. According to articles 46 to 52 of the Regulation respecting the professional qualification of building contractors and owner-buildersThis link open an external website of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec in a new window. :

    51. A partnership or person may hold a contractor's licence and an owner-builder's licence concurrently.

    52. A natural person may apply for a contractor's licence and an owner-builder's licence on behalf of the same partnership or legal person.

  • No owner-builder’s licence is necessary for the natural person who carries out, or has someone else carry out, construction works on a single-family house or any structure intended for the natural person’s or his/her family’s own private use.

    Article 1 of the Regulation respecting the application of the Building ActThis link open an external website of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec in a new window. stipulates that there is no obligation on the part of the owner-builder to hold a licence when construction works intended involve solely the renovation, repair or maintenance of his/her own property and are estimated at an amount of less than $20,000.

  • The contractor and the owner-builder do not have to hold a licence to perform construction works on an agricultural establishment which is usually developed by the farm operator himself/herself, or by less than three (3) full-time employees.

    An establishment shall be considered an agricultural establishment in as much as its main activity consists of developing the natural environment in order to draw from it an agricultural product.

    To determine whether an agricultural establishment fits this definition or not, it can be of interest to determine if the establishment does hold the registration card delivered by the provincial ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation (MAPAQ) This link open an external website of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec in a new window..

    It is important to note that this exemption does not apply to the contractor or owner-builder who performs construction work on a facility intended to use or distribute gas, or on an electrical facility.

  • The Building Act This link open an external website of the Régie du bâtiment du Québec in a new window. is clear (section 71, paragraph 8): The licence of a contractor or of an owner-builder ceases to have effect as soon as he/she did not pay the fees payable to maintain the licence when they were due. Regardless of the number of days of default, it is the responsibility of the licence holder to make sure that his/her payment for the maintenance of licence comes through no later than the due date. If the payment arrives late, the licence will be cancelled. The licence holder shall complete the application for licence form and pay the fees payable for this type of application.


If you do not find the information sought or if you need more information, contact us.

Send us your comments...

The field preceded by an asterisk ( * ) must be completed.
The information provided on this page is: