The Régie du Bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) uses examinations to verify the professional skills of licence applicants or their guarantors.
What does an examination question look like?
- All examination questions are multiple choice.
- There is only one correct answer for each question.
- Because questions are multiple choice, the scoring is objective.
- Some questions may refer to situation scenarios involving plans and specifications.
- Some questions also require you to refer to other documents, such as codes, regulations or statutes. These will be provided to you during the examination.
Sample question – Administration
For some work, you apply an invoicing policy based on the following data:
- The wage is established at $20.00/hour.
- Employee benefits, employer contributions before the Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de sécurité du travail (CNESST) and various taxes on the payroll total $5.00/hour.
- The cost for the CNESST is $5.50 per $100 of wage.
- The expected profit is 15%.
At what hourly rate should you invoice your clients? (To the nearest $1.00)
Correct answer: C
- A) $25.00/hour
- B) $26.00/hour
- C) $30.00/hour
- D) $35.00/hour
Sample question – Construction site safety management
According to the laws and regulations in force, who has the obligation of paying the benefit or compensation of the injured worker during the first 14 days of absence?
Correct answer: D
- A) The Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CNESST)
- B) Secrétariat du Travail
- C) The worker's wage loss insurance
- D) The employer
Sample question – Project and site management
Among the following actions, which ones are the most relevant to the construction of a one-storey single-family bungalow?
- To apply to the municipality for a permit
- To have the plans approved by an engineer
- To file a call for bids at the Bureau des soumissions déposées du Québec (BSDQ)
- To rent a tower crane
- To provide for temporary electrical power
- To comply with the Regulation respecting the guarantee plan for new residential buildings (RLRQ, c. B-1.1, r. 0.2)
Correct answer: A
- A) 1, 5 and 6 only
- B) 2, 3 and 4 only
- C) 1, 3, 5 and 6 only
- D) 1 to 6 (All of the above)
Sample question – Carrying out of construction work
From the plan view on page 8 of Handbook 1, given that the studs have a thickness of 140 mm (6 in.), that they are placed 400 mm (16 in.) on centre, and that the double thickness lintels are built from materials measuring 38 mm x 235 mm (2 in. x 10 in.), with a 38 mm (1½ in.) sill on each side, what quantity of wood is needed to construct the exterior walls?
Correct answer: A
- A) 108 pieces, including jambs and corner posts 324 lin. ft for the wall rails and plates 4 pieces of 3048 mm (10 in.) for the lintels
- B) 91 pieces, including jambs and corner posts 216 lin. ft for the wall rails and plates 4 pieces of 3048 mm (10 in.) for the lintels
- C) 98 pieces, including jambs and corner posts 324 lin. ft for the wall rails and plates 5 pieces of 2440 mm (8 in.) for the lintels
- D) 112 pieces, including jambs and corner posts 216 lin. ft for the wall rails and plates 4 pieces of 3048 mm (10 in.) for the lintels