You received a notice to write an examination. How should you prepare? What are the instructions to follow? How will you receive your results? Essential information can be found on this page.
In this page:
As stated in your examination notice, you must show up at the address, date and time indicated. Please be aware that you cannot postpone your examination date or time, except if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
If you do have symptoms of COVID-19, please contact us as soon as possible so we can make the necessary arrangements to postpone your exam. Note that we cannot guarantee a rapid rewrite of your exam, given the number of persons taking it and space restrictions resulting from health measures.
If you miss the exam
If you miss the examination, you will receive the RBQ’s decision and the procedure to follow by mail. You will have two options:
You need to pay a fee for these applications. To learn how much, go to the page that applies to you:
If you requested that your examination be in English, the examination notice should show the examination title in English. If the title is not in English, please notify us at least seven days before the examination date.
Preparing for an examination
To prepare for an examination, consult the Preparing for examinations page. You’ll find:
- Information sheets (information on the purpose of the examination, an overview of the examination content, standards and legislation to be studied, etc.)
- Competency profiles (the set of skills and abilities expected of a candidate for the selected licence class or subclass).
You can also check examples of questions.
At the exam venue, please follow these instructions, otherwise you won’t be able to enter the building or you will be expelled from the building.
- Always stay 2 metres apart from other people in the building.
- Bring a water bottle, as drinking fountains in the building are unavailable indefinitely.
- Call us on 1-800-361-0761 to postpone your examination date or time without any penalty if you are in one of the following situations (otherwise, we reserve the right to refuse anyone from taking the examinations):
- you have COVID-19 symptoms:
- cough (new or worsening)
- difficulty breathing
- sudden loss of smell with no nasal congestion, with or without loss of taste
- sore throat
- muscle aches (not related to physical exertion)
- runny nose or nasal congestion for no known reason
- stomach ache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea
- profound fatigue for no known reason
- significant loss of appetite
- unusual head ache
- you have tested positive for COVID-19 and are self-isolated
- you are waiting for your COVID-19 test results
- you have been in contact with someone in one of those situations
- you have travelled in the last 14 days.
For more information, consult the When to self-isolate (COVID-19) page on Québec.ca.
At the venue
- Arrive 15 minutes before the beginning of the examination, otherwise access will be denied once the exam has begun.
- Bring two original pieces of ID, including one with a photo:
- Examples of photo ID (at least one)
- Driver’s licence delivered by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec
- International driver’s licence
- Québec Health Insurance Card
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
- Permanent resident card
- Examples without photo
- Original birth certificate
- Social insurance card
In the exam room
- Store your personal belongings (cell phones, watches, coat, bags, etc.) and reference material where indicated (e.g. underneath your chair). All the materials you need to write your examination (ruler, pen, calculator, dictionary, codes, legislation) will be provided safely.
- It is strictly forbidden to copy the examination booklet or companion booklets.
Results will be sent by mail as soon as possible after your last exam. No results will be given over the phone.
The passing grade for an examination is 60%; if you pass, you can act as a guarantor. If you fail, please see the What happens if you fail? page of our website.
If you have any questions, please contact us.