Régie du bâtiment du Québec

  • Fr

Searching for a contractor or a licence number: consult the Licence holders' repertory.

Searching for a contractor or a licence number: consult the Licence holders' repertory.

COVID-19: see our measures. Please note that exams are not cancelled, even in red zones.

Montréal’s service point [Fr]: new address and online appointment booking.

According to our language policy​​​​​​​, only certain contents may be translated. Visit the French version to obtain all the information.

Work requiring a licence

In Québec, anyone who carries out construction work or has construction work done must be licensed by the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ), unless exempted by law. 

You must have a licence if you are:

  • A building contractor who is carrying out work or having work done for a third party, or who submits bids, seeks out clients or places advertisements in newspapers or elsewhere.
  • A promoter who enters into a contract to sell a building (house, condominium or other) or a road that they built or had built, or proposes to build or have built.
  • The owner of a building, a facility intended for public use, or an installation that is subject to the Building Act, who is carrying out construction work yourself on your own account. In this case, you must have an owner-builder's licence.

Severe fines

Any person who carries out work without a licence at any time is guilty of an infraction and therefore liable to a severe fine. Major fines can also be imposed if a licence-holder and their subcontractors do not hold the proper licence subclasses.

Fine amounts vary depending on the type of infraction. To know the amount of the fines for each type of infraction, go to Holding the correct licence.

Anyone who witnesses construction work being performed by someone who does not hold the appropriate licence can report this to the RBQ using the Unlicensed work report form.

Send us your comments…

Was the information on this page useful to you?