The following draft regulations have already been published in the Gazette officielle du Québec for comments and are currently in the process of being adopted.
There is no draft regulation currently in the process of being adopted.
Draft regulation amending the Construction Code, Chapter 1, Building, to ensure access to the interior of residential housing units
On February 21, 2018, the draft regulation amending the Construction Code, Chapter 1, Building, to ensure access to the interior of residential housing units, was published in the Gazette officielle du Québec in order to obtain comments from the public.
This draft regulation applies all housing units located on the ground floor of a building, with certain exceptions, or those served by an elevator, in all new constructions or expansions to buildings of more than 2 storeys and more than 8 housing units.
This regulation makes it possible to choose from 2 levels of accessibility, i.e.:
- the minimally accessible apartment, which provides first-level accessibility to some of the apartment’s rooms
- the adaptable apartment, which provides access to the apartment’s main rooms and reduces costs related to future adaptation work.
This draft regulation seeks mainly to:
- develop a pool of housing units accessible to individuals with a mobility disability, at a lower cost
- progressively reduce the cost of adapting housing units through the construction of adaptable and accessible apartments.
- meet expectations expressed by associations representing the interests of handicapped persons as well as senior citizens at hearing of the Comité consultative permanent (permanent advisory committee) on the accessibility and safety of buildings for disabled individuals.
- fulfill government commitments relating to the implementation of the À part entière policy: to truly exercise the right to equality, as well as the objectives of the ageing policy Vieillir et vivre ensemble : chez soi, dans sa communauté, au Québec (Growing old and living together: at home, in your community, in Québec).
February 21, 2018 End of the consultation period:
April 7, 2018
For additional information on this draft regulation, go to the:
Do you have any comments?
Anyone wishing to make some comments on this draft regulation may submit them, in writing, by April 7, 2018, to:
Mr. Michel Beaudoin, CEO
Régie du bâtiment du Québec
545, boulevard Crémazie Est, 3e
Montréal (Québec) H2M 2V2