According to section 126.96.36.199., Division C, of Chapter III, Plumbing, of the Construction Code, the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) reminds wholesalers and retailers that from October 2, 2008, the sale or lease of materials, devices or equipment intended for a plumbing facility that have not been certified or approved by one of the following accredited organizations is prohibited:
- Canadian Gas Association (CGA)
- Bureau de normalisation du Québec (BNQ)
- CSA International (CSA)
- IAPMO Research and Testing, Inc. (UPC)
- Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC)
- NSF International (NSF)
- Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB)
- Quality Auditing Institute (QAI)
- Intertek Testing Services NA Ltd. (ITS)
- Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL)
- Water Quality Association (WQA)
- ICC Evaluation Service (ICC-ES)
- any other organization accredited by the Standards Council of Canada as a certification body in the plumbing field and which has advised the RBQ of its accreditation.
The goal of the prohibition is to ensure the quality of plumbing work and the safety of users. Similar requirements exist with regard to the sale of electrical and gas equipment.